PHEATS Certificate Application Guide
Please follow the steps to apply for a PHEATS phytosanitary certificate on the Plant Health Exports Service (PHES):
Step 1: Log into your Government Gateway Account
1. Enter your Government Gateway ID and password at https://exporter.apply-phytosanitary-certificate.defra.gov.uk/.
2. From the dashboard, click ‘Start a new application’.
Step 2: Application
3. Click the radio button next to the required commodity (plant produce) and click ‘Continue’.
4. Enter the country exporting to and click ‘Continue’
5. The regulations specific to the export destination will appear.
6. Check the regulations, then tick to confirm you have understood and followed the export regulations for this commodity and click ‘Continue’.
7. Enter your own choice of reference then click ‘Save and Continue’.
8. Complete section 1 ‘About your application’. ‘Create a reference number’ is completed, click the hyperlink to open ‘What’s in your consignment?’
9. You can choose to either add individual commodities or upload a file of commodities. To add individual commodities, select ‘Manually, by adding one at a time’ and click ‘Continue’ (go to step 15 to upload a file).
10. Start to enter the details of your commodity by botanical name.
11. Enter a description if you cannot locate the botanical name or the product is mixed.
12. Enter the commodity group and country of origin.
13. Complete the quantity and number and type of packages, then click ‘Save and continue’. N.B. Exporters should use ‘unit’ as the measurement for plants/bunches/stems.
14. Select yes or no to add another commodity then click ‘Save and continue’. If yes is selected, repeat steps 9 – 14. If no, go to step 16.
15. Download and complete the .csv template with your commodities, save, browse to locate then click ‘Upload’. Go to step 16.
16. Click the hyperlink ‘What are the inspection details?’ Select ‘yes’ to the question ‘Do you want to apply under the plant health export audited trader scheme (PHEATS)?’ then click ‘Save and continue’.
17. If you have an inspection address which has already had a PHEATS inspection carried out and passed, it will be here, select and click ‘Continue’. If you need to add a new PHEATS inspection address, add this via the ‘manage your addresses’ hyperlink then contact your inspector to discuss the next steps.
18. Click to confirm you have selected the correct PHEATS inspection address then click ‘Continue’.
19. Click the ‘How will the consignment be transported?’ hyperlink and enter the details and click ‘Save and continue’.
20. Click the hyperlink ‘Who will receive this consignment?’, then enter the consignee’s details and optional import permit number then click ‘Save and continue’.
21. Section 2 allows you to upload additional documents if required (for example, an import permit from your destination country). Click the hyperlink to open.
22. To upload a document, click ‘Browse’, select the document from your computer and ‘open’, add a file name and click ‘upload’.
23. The document can then be viewed or deleted. Click ‘Save and continue’.
24. Section 1 is complete; therefore, the Section 3 hyperlink is live. Click ‘Check your answers and submit your application’.
25. The ‘Review your answers’ page opens, review all the information input – you can amend anything with a ‘Change’ hyperlink. Click ‘Continue’.
26. Enter the date you need the certificate and click ‘Continue’.
27. Tick to confirm the exporter declaration and click ‘Submit application’.
28. The application has been submitted.
29. Click the ‘View your applications’ hyperlink to return to the dashboard.
30. You can monitor the status of your applications via the dashboard.
31. You can view the details of any completed application by clicking onto the application reference (number on the left), then by clicking on the ‘View this application’ hyperlink. This opens a page showing all the details of the completed application. This is not amendable, view only.