Please follow the steps to apply for an HMI certificate of conformity on the Plant Health Exports Service (PHES):
Step 1: Log into your Government Gateway Account
1. Enter your Government Gateway ID and password at https://exporter.apply-phytosanitary-certificate.defra.gov.uk/.
2. From the dashboard, click ‘Start a new application’.
Step 2: Application
3. Click the radio button next to the ‘Plants and fresh produce’ and click ‘Continue’.
4. Select ‘Apply for a certificate of conformity’ and click ‘Continue’. Note that if you also require a phytosanitary certificate, you should do that first.
5. Enter the destination country and click ‘Continue’.
6. Enter your choice of reference then click ‘Save and continue’.
7. Complete section 1 ‘Tell us about your consignment’. ‘Create a reference’ is completed, click the hyperlink to open ‘What’s in your consignment?’
8. Select manual or file upload to add commodities then click ‘Continue’. Go to step 16 for details on file uploads.
9. Select your export from the list and click ‘Continue’. Note that for citrus or lettuce you will need to add the type.
10. Select ‘GMS commodity’ and click ‘Continue’ if your destination country asks for a certificate of conformity for a commodity not listed above. Go to step 13.
11. For most commodities (except lettuce and strawberries) you will now add the variety. If this cannot be found (start to type and the varieties should appear), select ‘Other’ and complete the free text field.
12. Enter the class, country of origin, net weight per package (in kgs), number and type of packaging plus if this is reusable/reclaimed, then click ‘Save and continue’. Go to step 15.
13. For GMS commodities, complete the common and botanical name fields, variety (where required) and country of origin.
14. Complete the weight and packing details then click ‘Save and continue’.
15. The commodity is now added to the application. You can delete or change this (right). To add another, select ‘Yes’ then ‘Save and continue’, then repeat steps 8 – 14; or select ‘No’ then ‘Save and continue’.
16. Click to download either the SMS or GMS template, complete as directed and save. Click ‘Choose file’, select the saved file and ‘Open’ then ‘Upload’.
17. Your commodities have been added to the application.
18. You can continue adding commodities (select ‘Yes’, ‘Save and continue the complete as for steps 8 – 17) or select ‘No’ then ‘[Save and continue’.
19. Click the hyperlink ‘What are the inspection details?’
20. Click ‘Select’ next to the required inspection address from the list displayed. To add a new address, click the hyperlink ‘Add a new address’ and follow the instructions.
21. Click ‘Yes’ to select the address (or ‘No’ to return to the previous step) and click ‘Continue’.
22. Add the contact details for the application then ‘Save and continue’.
23. Add the date and time the consignment will be ready for inspection then click ‘Save and continue’.
24. Click the hyperlink ‘How will this consignment be transported?’
25. Select the transport type (note the optional fields on air and maritime), then ‘Save and continue’.
26. Click the hyperlink ‘What are the packer details?’
27. Select the packing details, note that packer code or Defra code required the code to be added, then ‘Save and continue’.
28. If you select ‘I want to enter different details’, complete the fields then ‘Save and continue’.
29. Section 1 is now complete, click the hyperlink to open Section 2.
30. The ‘Review your answers’ page opens, showing all of the questions in the application on one page. Check the details and click ‘Change’ to amend if needed. Click ‘Continue’ once checked.
31. Enter the date and time you need the certificate and click ‘Continue’.
32. Tick the exporter declaration and click ‘Submit application’.
33. Your application has been submitted. If an inspection is required, you will be contacted. Click ‘View your applications’ to return to the dashboard.
34. The current status of all your applications is available to view on your dashboard.
35. Click on the application reference number (far left) to see the inspection status of your commodity.
36. When the application status is at ‘certificate issued’ you will be able to view and download the certificate from your dashboard.
37. Note that you can update some data within your application from here via ‘Update this application’.
38. Scroll through the application and via the ‘Change’ hyperlink (right) amend the data as required, then ‘Continue’ (bottom of form).
39. The date required will be auto-populated from the original application, change if needed then ‘Continue’.
40. Tick the exporter declaration then click ‘Submit application’.
41. The amended application has been re-submitted.