The Secretariat of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) has published a number of draft international standards (ISPMs) for country consultation. The draft documents can be downloaded from the ‘Current consultations for draft ISPMs’ section of the IPPC website at https://www.ippc.int/en/core-activities/standards-setting/member-consultation-draft-ispms/.
1. First Consultation
We are not constrained in the type or number of comments we can make on these drafts. It is also important to identify any potential implementation problems.
- Revision of ISPM 26 (Establishment of pest free areas for fruit flies (Tephritidae))
- Annex to ISPM 46 (Commodity-specific standards for phytosanitary measures): International movement of mango (Mangifera indica) fruit
- Annex to ISPM 23 (Guidelines for inspection): Field inspection (including growing-season inspection)
- Draft Annex to ISPM 37 (Determination of host status of fruit to fruit flies (Tephritidae)): Criteria for evaluation of available information for determining host status of fruit to fruit flies (2018-011), Priority 3
- Draft 2022 Amendments to ISPM 5 (Glossary of phytosanitary terms) (1994-001), Priority 1
Draft Diagnostic Protocols
- Draft DP: Mononychelus tanajoa
- Draft DP: Genus Ceratitis
2. Second Consultation
These drafts have already been out for first consultation, redrafted by the IPPC Standards Committee, and prepared for final consideration. We will seek only to submit crucial comments on these drafts: those that concern issues arising in the drafts which would cause significant misunderstanding or major problems of implementation.
- Revision of ISPM 4 (Requirements for the establishment of pest free areas)
- Draft Annex to ISPM 20 (Guidelines for a phytosanitary import regulatory system): Use of Specific Import Authorizations
3. Implementation and capacity development consultation
As a lower priority, we can also submit comments on the below draft documents which can be found at https://www.ippc.int/en/core-activities/capacity-development/consultation-on-ic-sub-groups-draft-terms-of-reference-and-draft-rules-of-procedure/:
- Authorization of entities to perform phytosanitary actions, Guide
- National Reporting Obligations (NROs) Guide, revision
- Implementation of risk-based inspection for imported consignments Guide
Further details on the IPPC can be found at www.ippc.int.
If you wish to comment on any of the above drafts, please send your comments before 01 August 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.