Our use of Cookies

This site uses only cookies strictly necessary to ensure the site works correctly.

Please read about how we use cookies.

Hide this message

Strictly necessary and non-essential cookies

By clicking accept all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies and to our cookie policy.

We use third-party cookies on this site.

You have accepted necessary cookies only

You can change your cookie settings at any time
Hide this message

BETA Your feedback will help us improve the UK Plant Health Information Portal

The Windsor Framework - Notification of New Guidance for Movement of Plants from Great Britain to Northern Ireland

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has published guidance on further elements of the Windsor Framework. The guidance provides information for you as a grower and/or trader as to what you need to do to move any of the following:

  • plants and seeds for planting (plants and seeds which will be grown on by professional growers or traded for retail sale) 

  • seed potatoes (for commercial growing) 

  • used agricultural and forestry machinery and vehicles  

using a NI Plant Health Label

The NI Plant Health Label (NIPHL)  

The new NI Plant Health Label (NIPHL) is a way for growers and traders in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) to move certain products to Northern Ireland. Like the UK plant passport regime, the NIPHL scheme makes sure checks for pests and diseases are carried out and goods can be traced. This means growers and traders can move these goods with a NIPHL and without a phytosanitary certificate.    

The Windsor Framework and NIPHL does not impact on marketing requirements. For more information, contact your local APHA inspector or, if you are based in Scotland, seedtesting@sasa.gov.scot or spcsapps@sasa.gov.scot   

If you move plant produce such as fruit or vegetables, or cut flowers from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, please refer to guidance on the Northern Ireland Retail Movement Scheme. 


Full guidance can be found here but the guidance covers in detail: 

  • Goods you can move with a NI Plant Health Label. 

  • How to register as a professional operator. 

  • How you will know if my business is registered as a Professional Operator. 

  • How to get authorisation to issue, print or receive NI Plant Health Labels for plants for planting, seeds, and used agricultural and forestry machinery.  

  • What you need to do before moving plants for planting or used agricultural and forestry machinery and vehicles to Northern Ireland.   

  • Seed potatoes: How to get authorisation to attach Northern Ireland plant health labels. 

  • What you need to do before moving seed potatoes to Northern Ireland.  

  • Information around when you will be inspected.    

  • What you need to include on your Northern Ireland plant health label. 

More Information 

If you want more information on issuing NIPHLs, contact the authority for where you are based:  

England and Wales: 
APHA Centre for International Trade  
Foss House 
King’s Pool  
1-2 Peasholme Green  
York   YO1 7PX 
Email: PlantPassportRegistration@apha.gov.uk 


Contact by email for:  

  • seed potatoes:spcsapps@sasa.gov.scot 

  • plants for planting:  hort.marketing@gov.scot 

  • small seeds: seedtesting@sasa.gov.scot 

  • used farm or forestry machinery: php@gov.scot   


Northern Ireland: 
Contact the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) Plant Health Inspection Branch: 
Plant and tree health department 
Telephone: 0300 200 7847 
Email: planthealth@daera-ni.gov.uk 


For up-to-date guidance we encourage you to sign up for gov.uk alerts.  

Should you have any questions or queries about this in the meantime, please email traders@defra.gov.uk