Our use of Cookies

This site uses only cookies strictly necessary to ensure the site works correctly.

Please read about how we use cookies.

Hide this message

Strictly necessary and non-essential cookies

By clicking accept all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies and to our cookie policy.

We use third-party cookies on this site.

You have accepted necessary cookies only

You can change your cookie settings at any time
Hide this message

BETA Your feedback will help us improve the UK Plant Health Information Portal

Scientific authorisations for invertebrate plant pests and pathogens

A scientific authorisation is required to import, move or keep invertebrate plant pests or plant pathogens which meet certain conditions.


If the pest meets one of the following conditions, it will require an authorisation:


You do not need an authorisation to import, move or keep invertebrate plant pests or plant pathogens which meet any one of the following conditions:


Potential Quarantine Pests (PQPs)

Legislation requires that unlisted pests now need to be assessed against provisional quarantine pest criteria. The GB provisional quarantine pest assessment criteria is laid out in Annex I, section III, subsection I of The Plant Health Regulation. For a pest to meet this criteria it must;

  • have a clearly defined identity, 
  • be absent from GB (or only present in limited parts), be able to establish and spread within GB and
  • have the potential to cause economic, social or environmental impacts. 

Criteria to suggest whether the pest is able to enter GB are irrelevant as the pest is being intentionally imported. 

Under the new requirements, for a pest present in GB to require a scientific authorisation, there must be evidence of strains, populations, isolates etc. which are absent from GB and pose an increased risk to those already present. This may be evidence of pesticide resistance (against available UK actives), increased pathogenicity, increased virulence or an increased host range.


Next page

Previous page

Back to Top

Back to what requires a scientific authorisation?

Back to Scientific authorisations guidance for authorisation holders and applicants