BETA Your feedback will help us improve the UK Plant Health Information Portal

Forestry Commission Guidance

Forestry Commission Guidance

Plant Passporting for wood, wood products and bark 

Since 1 January 2021, EU plant passports have no longer been used in England, Scotland and Wales to export wood, wood products and bark, as they have been replaced by UK plant passports. Find out further details in this factsheet 


Imports of wood, wood products and bark 

If you are importing wood, wood products and bark, you will need a Phytosanitary Certificate, and from July 2022 this will also need to be accompanied by pre-notification on the relevant IT system. 

Once your product arrives, it will be inspected at a Place of Destination (PoD). The physical checks for regulated imports have been reduced. Find out more about the PoD scheme in the Question-and-Answer (Q&A) guide.  

To find out more about APHA and the Forestry Commission’s operational hours, please see this Q&A guide and make sure you are up to date on the latest fee costs for import inspections on high-priority goods. 


Exports of wood, wood products and bark 

If you are exporting wood, wood products and bark, you need to check whether a phytosanitary certificate (PC) is required by contacting the plant health authority or a plant health inspector in the destination country. Find out more in the Exports Guide 

If you have growing media attached to, or associated with, the product you’re exporting, there are special requirements you must meet